Thursday, November 5, 2009

The baby and wee

Okay, so it was a bit of an interesting trip to the hospital this morning. First things first, as soon as I arrived they gave me one of those long thin urine sample pots and asked me to wee in it. Now, I don't know about you, but as a woman, I may as well be trying to pee through the eye of a needle. Add a huge bump to the equation, effectively blocking off my view, then you're just asking for trouble. Needless to say I got wee all over my jeans, the toilet seat and the floor. Not a good start.

Then came the scan and whilst our baby is growing perfectly (he now weighs 5lb 6oz) his kidneys are still showing signs of swelling. The term hydronephrosis has been used and there are many causes for this, which they won't be able to establish until he's born. So unfortunately, once he's born he may need a kidney scan and possibly some antibiotics. This made me sad. I'd hoped to be in and out of hospital quickly ... and I just can't bear the thought of those strange men in white coats whisking my precious little button away for even a second!! There is, of course, always the chance that things will clear up before he arrives, but he's had the swelling since fairly early on in the pregnancy so I have my doubts.

Here's hoping the Christmas angels bring him a perfect pair of kidneys for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry, I didn't know he had kidney issues. I do hope things correct themselves. I feel bad that he may be taken from you right after delivery. how sad. Maybe they will allow you to spend a few moments holding him first.

    ReplyDelete