Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Doctor Schmoctor



I have to tell you about a recent visit to the doctors' surgery.

I had a routine appointment with the doc at 36 weeks, which found blood, protein and extra white blood cells in my urine.

The doc sent my urine off for analysis and told me to call back on Friday for the results. If there was an infection, she would prescribe me antibiotics. If it came back clear, she wanted me to come back on Monday so they could do some further tests.

Sure enough the results came back clear, and the receptionist (reading my notes) reiterated what the first doctor had said about coming back on Monday. So on Monday, armed with a fresh urine sample, I went back to the surgery for an appointment with a different doctor. The second I walked into the doctor's room I knew it was going to be one of those consultations.

Doctor: How can I help you?

Me: (Explained the story) ... and so she asked me to come back today.

Doctor: (Already losing patience)... but why?

Me: I don't really know.

Doctor: **SIGH** If I had a penny for every white blood cell found in the urine of a pregnant lady ... I don't know why she asked you to come back.

Me: Umm ...

Doctor: As far as I'm concerned there's no reason for you to be here.

Me: I don't want to waste anyone's time ...

Doctor: Do you FEEL okay?

Me: I feel fine.

Doctor: And you can't remember why she wanted you to come back??

At this point I became visibly upset, and suddenly the doctor started backtracking. He told me that protein in urine should ALWAYS be taken seriously and that I wasn't wasting his time at all. He told me he wanted me to hand my urine sample in at reception on my way out so that it could be sent off to the labs for more testing and he made an appointment for me to return a few days later so he could check my blood pressure.

Needless to say, on my way out I cancelled the appointment and threw my urine in the bin!

No comments:

Post a Comment