Monday, December 28, 2009

Postpartum Shockers

I knew my body would undergo significant changes when the baby came, but there are a few that really really took me by surprise:
  1. Swollen Feet and Ankles - I had swollen feet and ankles towards the end of my pregnancy, but they have been much worse since the baby was born. My midwives have all told me this is normal.
  2. Smelly Feet - I have never, ever, ever, EVER, EVER had smelly feet in my life. Even Robin thinks they smell cheesy. I think it's something to do with all the fluid in my feet right now.
  3. Belly - Okay, now I never expected to have a flat tummy after the birth of my son BUT I didn't expect to look six or seven months pregnant by days 3 and 4 either. With the baby gone, I wonder what it is that's taking up all that space????
  4. Sore nipples - I was really surprised how quickly my nipples became sore. By the end of Day 1 they were cracked and bleeding. Apparently this is down to bad technique. But still ...

I'm sure I will be adding to this list as the weeks go on :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think the puffiness in your tummy will go away. some women get rid of it right away, where others lose it slowly. It's possible losing it slowly is better than all at once. you may have a chance of not having "extra skin" if you can lose it slowly and let the skin bounce back into shape. I am the opposite, I lose it fast and then I have extra skin hanging. Its horrifying and very very ugly. I almost never make love with out a shirt on now.

    Sore Nipples from what I understand will continue till you have fed him long enough to almost create like a callis. I'm no experienced person with breast feeding tho.

    ReplyDelete