Thursday, December 10, 2009

The NCT Club

I had a spot of lunch with the NCT girls today. We're all due around the same time, so it's fun to compare bumps and 'symptoms'. It amazes me how similar all our bumps are ... although some of the others' bumps have dropped already. Mine is still up around my ears somewhere. Only one more week until my baby is due. Well, it's six days, seven nights to be precise.

One of the girls who is due on Tuesday had a membrane sweep at her last antenatal appointment. The website babycentre.co.uk describes a membrane sweep as follows: Membrane sweeping is done by your midwife or doctor. While internally examining you, she will simply "sweep" a finger around your cervix (neck of your womb). The aim is to separate the membranes around your baby from your cervix. This releases hormones called prostaglandins, which may kick-start your labour.

Yikes. I wonder if I will be offered one next week!!!

I've had a look on the internet and there are lots of old wives tales about how to kick start labour. The one that grabbed my attention was this one. I found it on one of the forums: My mum used to be a midwife and she says that loads of people have sex to induce labour ...

I like this idea! No, I LOVE this idea :-) Sadly I can't infuse Robin with the same degree of enthusiasm. I think he thinks it will damage the baby. Either that or he's keen to enjoy as many lie-ins as he can before the baby arrives. Dang! Short of pinning him down, there's not much I can do. He's definitely got me by the short and curlies on this one.


1 comment:

  1. lol, Yep semen Softens the cervix and helps it shorten and open. You could tell him your helping bring the baby into the world. My husband would be scared to.
    I had a membrane sweep with my last baby 10 years ago. With in 5 hrs my water broke and delivered 20 mins later.. oh my goodness, It's sooo close for you!!!!
    I'll know if I don't see a post soon then you had had the little one.
    Good luck with the delivery and I wish you and the baby great happiness!

    ReplyDelete