Monday, August 10, 2009

Scans booked

I've got two exciting things to look forward to. Firstly is my 22 week scan on Thursday where I fully intend to find out what sex I'm having (fner fner) and the second exciting thing is the 4D ultrasound that I've booked in for the 6th September. I can't wait. It costs £150 and you get a half hour video of the 4D scan and some photos (as well as a few other bits and pieces that they throw in to make you feel like you're getting your money's worth).

To be honest I think that having a 4D scan is priceless. Just a few years ago the average ultrasound scan just looked like white noise with the fuzzy outline of a baby somewhere in the middle. These days you get crystal clear (almost) images of your child inside your womb. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the little person who keeps you awake at night by kicking you in the ribs ... yet who might as well be a million miles away, separated from you by the thinnest piece of skin (okay, and a couple of inches of fat in my case).

People ask why I want to know the sex ... or to see it before it's born and my response is why not? I will be 25 weeks pregnant when I have the 4D scan. The baby will be a fraction of its birth size. It will be a remarkable insight into its development and a glimpse into a world that, let's face it, is as mysterious and wondrous as the furthest reaches of outer space.

Of course, it also has something to do with impatience. I am one of those people who is driven demented by presents under the Christmas tree. If only I had Xray vision!!

Anyway, it's all booked and the deposit is paid for. Now I'm counting down the weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds until I see my baby's precious features for the very first time :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment